See www.zabbix.com for the official Zabbix site.
Support of internal checks for proxies
Status: Stable, v1.2
Currently there is no easy way to monitor health of Zabbix proxy.
Zabbix proxy should support internal items for monitoring proxy-related performance and availability metrics.
The following existing server-side internal items will be supported for proxies:
zabbix[proxy_history] # number of values in the buffer for sending to server zabbix[items] # number of items zabbix[host,...] # host availability zabbix[hosts] # number of monitored hosts zabbix[items_unsupported] # number of unsupported items zabbix[boottime] # proxy boot time zabbix[process,<type>,<mode>,<state>] # same as for server, see notes below zabbix[queue,<from>,<to>] # same as for server zabbix[rcache,<cache>,<mode>] # same as for server zabbix[wcache,<cache>,<mode>] # same as for server, but <cache> == 'trends' will not be supported by proxies zabbix[requiredperformance] zabbix[uptime]
zabbix[process,<type>,<mode>,<state>] will support the following values for 'process' parameter for proxies: configuration syncer, discoverer, history syncer, housekeeper, http poller, icmp pinger, ipmi poller, java poller, poller, self-monitoring, snmp trapper, trapper, unreachable poller. These option will not be supported by proxies: alerter, db watchdog, escalator, node watcher, proxy poller, timer.
Also two new options will be introduced:
- data sender
- heartbeat sender
If the host is monitored directly by the server, internal items will return data about Zabbix server. If a host is monitored by a proxy, internal items will return data about Zabbix proxy and will be calculated by proxy.
- Add template for monitoring of proxies 'Template App Zabbix Proxy'
- help_items should be updated including database patch
- What's new
- Upgrade notes must mention that such items will now return something else if a host is monitored by a proxy
- Zabbix Manual
- Update list of supported internal items
- Possibility of sending internal metrics as part of heart beat messages
- Prioritization for processing of items related to internal monitoring. It could be implemented in the future.
- Use of proxy name as one of parameters for the internal checks. Rejected since it would introduce performance issues when filtering internal items related to a particular proxy.
- zabbix[history_proxy] renamed to zabbix[proxy_history]
- added zabbix[host,...] to the list of supported items by proxies